Rear Wheelarches

TR7 Restoration Project, Sep-2013

I started by cutting out the old outer wheel arch to suit the profile of the repair panel then repaired the inner wheel arch lip as necessary:

I then fixed the repair panel in place using self tappers. When I did the other side however, I realised that it was quicker and easier to make up some plywood wedges to secure the new panel in place from behind.

Once secured with self tappers, the repair panel was tack-welded in place permanently with the welds spaced around 20mm apart. The welds were ground back flush with the wing/arch profile.

There’s quite a lot of fiddly sections to weld in to replace the join at the rear of the wheel arch lip where it joins the rear sill.

The welds are then covered by a skim of filller prior to painting.

 😉